Wednesday, September 17, 2008

GREAT DAY FOR CRICKETS, WALNUTS, AND RUNNING

My usual running schedule of late, since it is so dark when I was starting out at 6:00 or 7:00, is to have breakfast at 7:00 and then run at 10 or 10:30. It works great when the weather is as nice as it has been lately. So today I started out at 10:30. Ran on the roads over north of the river and it was one of those days when it all felt good--and easy, sort of. I thought that I would maybe do 6 miles today and when I got to the 3 mile mark I decided to keep going instead of turning around. I had gone on new roads I hadn't run before and I met some new dogs. Thank goodness for the electronic dog wire buried in the ground. I also had been running with thousands of crickets for company. They were thick out on the roadway, crawling and jumping everywhere. And frequently I would find walnuts to avoid where they had fallen in my path. I kept imagining what would happen if I stepped on one and took flying nose dive.
By now I had covered 4 miles and still hadn't headed back to the starting point where my car was. So I knew I was doing at least an 8 mile run. My last big run before the marathon. Oh what the heck--I'm cruisin'. At mile 5 I turned around and headed back. Felt good and took walking breaks on the upslope of about three uphill sections of the trip back to the car.
The great thing is that at the end my per mile pace was less than a minute per mile slower than when I started. So it was a ten mile day.
Tylenol has been in order this afternoon and I've kept a bottle of water close. But I feel good and will be recovered tomorrow and will run a four mile on Friday. Saturday will be a busy day helping my daughter move and also going to my 50 year class reunion. Next week is taper off week in preparation for the big run.
Watch out for the walnuts. Is stepping on crickets bad luck?

No comments: