Monday, September 29, 2008

REACHING MY GOAL










Over the last few months I have made 99 entries on this blog. 99 steps along the way to reaching a goal that I must admit I thought was probably impossible. But, because I was chosen to be part of the Fort 4 Fitness training group and had the guidance provided by Dr. Gordon, Indiana News Center and Mary Collins, and the support and encouragement of my companions, family, and friends, I achieved it.
I included a quote from Walt Disney in one of my early blog entries. "It's kinda fun to do the impossible" It certainly has!
Last February 14, at just after midnight, I made a life changing decision and sent the following letter to Mary Collins at Indiana News Center in response to her appeal for novice runners to sign up for the challenge.
I'm just wondering if I could be a part of your fitness group preparing for the Fort 4 Fitness Half Marathon? This might just be the motivation I need to do something about my level of fitness and health. Sounds like work--but, sounds like fun too. I will soon be 68 years old, I need to lose some weight, and I avoid stairs if I can. My wife, kids and grandkids would all be thrilled if I could get to the point where I could actually run a half marathon. Maybe I could be an inspiration to them and to many other senior citizens if I could pull this off.
Goal reached. Where do I go from here? That question has entered the minds of all of us in the group. Everyone is committed to continuing their efforts to stay fit. We will all choose what is most effective and satisfying for us and fits our lifestyles. I plan to devote an hour to walking or running three times a week during the next few months. Perhaps more as I will probably get the itch to run in some 5K runs yet before winter. Around year end many of us in the group will meet to begin planning how we can be part of the training of next year's novice runners so that we can "pay it forward" and help them do the "impossible" too.
I am going to continue to blog on seeterryrun because really my journey has only begun. We have a lot more miles to go.










1 comment:

Kylee Baumle said...

A BIG congratulations to you, Terry, for reaching your goal! And not only did you reach it, but you did it with class and style. I loved reading your account of your day, with all the pictures and your thoughts. Wasn't it just the BEST? I want to do it again.

About the white space...click on the edit icon at the end of your post, then click on the Edit HTML tab. Make sure the last line of what you wrote is the last thing you see there. If it's not all the way at the bottom, just delete the space there. That should do it.

Some of your pictures aren't clickable for me either, and that has to be a Blogger thing, so maybe your white space is a Blogger blip, too.