Saturday, August 16, 2008

FINDING THE TIME











I'm beginning to realize how difficult it must be for anyone to devote two or more hours to a workout. My F4F group companions all have to fit their training around work, children, family, community and other assorted obligations. We are at distances now that require some time. I have the good fortune to be able to do mine and still fit them into a busy life. Being retired has afforded me that.
PERFECT RUNNING CONDITIONS Make a world of difference.
HAVING EIGHT OUNCES OF WATER ALONG Sure helps out.
GOING THAT EXTRA MILE Priceless.
This morning I began my 9 mile run at 6:15 but I went a whole new direction. The new US Highway 24 is being constructed about a mile south of where I live and on weekends most of the work stops. There are miles of new concrete poured but only an occasional construction vehicle on it. Perfect running path. The foreman I spoke with asked "what do you think of the running trail we poured for you?" which I took as a good sign I wouldn't cause a problem using it.
I headed west with the break of dawn at my back and the moon setting on the western horizon. (The BeeGees went with me.) Maurice was a real drag. I fell into my regular pace and after the first mile or so I was very comfortable. There were only two spots where I walked through some rocks and dirt at intersections where there was no concrete yet. The rest of the time I was able to stay in my slow run and each mile clicked by in 16 minute or so intervals. Four and a half miles on smooth new road. When I returned it was a repeat and my spirits kept getting higher as I realized I was going to make it--and I wasn't losing it physically. Mile 8 to 9 was easier than the earlier miles. There is a zone out there somewhere and I found it. So, I kept on going. I WENT TEN MILES TODAY!
Maybe the high I experienced has had something to do with it but I feel great. Once again, other than not being able to sit still for long, I am pretty much recovered and ready to get on to other things this afternoon.
A HAPPY AND EXCITING DAY.

1 comment:

Terry B said...

Terry, I am so proud of you that I could burst.
Love, Cyndy