Saturday, August 2, 2008

I DIDN'T GET SKUNKED--I DID IT

I was determined to give my seven mile run a try this morning so I got up at 5:00 A.M.. Guess what? It's too dark to run safely at that time of day. The days are getting shorter more quickly than I realized. So I took my time getting ready, had half of a banana and some peanut butter for breakfast, and then went over to my river road running route. Began running around 6 A.M.. A beautiful morning to run. As usual the first mile is work and then I settled in to a comfortable pace. Somewhere up ahead of me a skunk had cut loose and it was pretty intense. I was wary and watched closely for him and thankfully never sighted him.
My run progressed to the 3 mile point and I was in great shape. That was a good feeling because I am planning to run a 5K here in my hometown next Saturday. I made myself continue on to the 3.5 mile point so I couldn't wimp out of going for seven. It did take some effort to not turn around and go back for another 6 mile and be satisfied with that again. By mile four I knew this was going great and I would make it.
The cool morning temperature and slight breeze certainly helped my run today. The transition through the 5 and 6 mile runs to the 7 has been tough but now I have done it and the physical and mental barrier has been overcome. Beating the 7 mile barrier makes me optimistic because it is more than half way to the 13.1 goal. Happy, happy day!

No comments: