Saturday, August 9, 2008

FUN RUN & LESSONS LEARNED







This morning's 5K run here in my hometown of Antwerp, Oh. was fun and we were blessed by great running weather. It was a family and friends affair. Daughter Leslye, granddaughter Erika, (running in her first 5K), and friend Lori joined me today. They did great. Lori was the fastest time in her age group. Grandson Ethan ran in the 1 mile fun run that preceeded the 5K.
Once again I found that when I am so eager to keep up with the herd at the start I suffer. I have to realize that I have my pace, even at the start, and I had better stick to it. Today my pace figured out at four miles per hour. I usually end up close to that when I am training. On the longer runs it falls a little below that. Today by running too hard at the start I made the first mile an uncomfortable struggle. The second half of the run I finally got into a groove and it went better. I guess I'd better be satisfied with stamina and not speed.
Three local gals who are ardent walkers really outpaced the walking contingent today. Which put them up in the area where I was at the whole time. So while I am jogging along at my four mph. they are right there with me the whole time. I shouldn't let that bug me but it does.

My training schedule called for an eight mile run today but that was dropped since I wanted to do the 5K. I hope to do that on Monday.

No comments: