Saturday, June 7, 2008

CANAL DAYS 5K RUN











I did a good session of exercises on Thursday which was an optional day for my training sessions. Then on Friday I totally rested as far as running goes. Saved up for today so I could do my first ever 5K Run. Thankfully the weather was comfortable--70ish--and overcast with a breeze. I felt good going into the race other than having some nervousness. We started out running down the parade route for about 3/4 mile in front of all the spectators. I probably over did it then because I didn't want to look wimpy for the public. I walked for a couple hundred yards up a hill and then ran again. I stayed pretty strong, with only a couple walking stints, to the two mile point but then I started to fade and had to walk quite a bit. I ran two times during the last mile for maybe 1/4 mile each and then ran the last couple hundred yards to the finish. Gwen from my Challenge Group pulled away from me at the end and I stayed ahead of two ladies who were in the rear. Until the last that is--when they too pulled ahead of me. So I came in last--but with a new personal best time for me. (compared to the couple of times I did a pretend 5K when I was on training runs) 39:28.

Be assured when you have family and friends as well as spectators cheering you on it is a real good feeling.

Kylee, Barb, Gwen, from my Fort4Fitness Challenge group--and my daughter Leslye and her friend Lori--ran in the race too. Everyone did great and reached new levels. Cyndy, daughter Carolyn, son in law Paul, and grandkids Jesse, Eliza and Landon were there at the start and finish for me.

I'm not hurting at all and the only discomfort is when I get up from sitting down. So I'm not sitting much. I did go out and pick up some sticks and limbs left from last night's storm but enough is enough so that's all folks. I'm done for today.

















No comments: