Tuesday, June 3, 2008

STARTING THE NEW ROUTINE

Last evening our group workout was the beginning of the new phase of our training. We are working on developing distance and not concentrating on time. We have a new set of daily goals that we will work on over the next 13 weeks. Again, as we did in March, we will start with small steps and build up. Our daily mileage goal is well defined and we have rest days built in to optimize our recovery between workout days. For the first couple weeks we will be dealing with two mile runs and then some longer runs will start to mix in as we build up. Very few of us will run two miles straight and we will have some short walking breathers as needed. Some time soon the new program schedule should be posted on the IndianaNewsCenter web site on the Fort4Fitness Challenge page. Even though it will be more than two miles there is a 5K at the New Haven Canal Days this coming Saturday which a number of us are going to do.

Last evening my workout for the two miles we did was a mix of running with walk breaks. At first I had some leg cramping which worked itself out. I averaged 4 miles per hour which is at the top of what I have been accomplishing to date. I hadn't done any workouts over the weekend except for some core exercises. I have the option today of resting or doing something so at this point I will rest. I have a number of other things to get accomplished today.

The biggest problem last evening was the heat and humidity. It was 86 when we ran. I didn't have any water with me but I did get some right after and I didn't feel any ill effects. Just would have been nice to sip a little during the run.

No comments: