Friday, May 9, 2008

My Friday Workout

I went over to the river road and followed my usual route. Got warmed up pretty fast on a cool windy day so took off my windbreaker and stashed it to pick up on return leg. I stretched first and then started walking a short distance and then did my first run. Checked when I got to be uncomfortable and it was just over three minutes. Walked three and then ran three again. Repeated this pattern 5 times. Tried to push to 4 minutes but it was too difficult today. I watched for the 3.1 mile mark and checked my time---52 minutes today. Not quite as fast as last tuesday. I kept on with walking and turned around at the 2.7 mile mark and headed back. Now it was into the wind. I tried another 3 min. and did it. The rest of the way I alternated walking and then running a minute or minute and a half when I felt ready to do it. Total distance today was 5.42 miles. Total time 1 hr. 33 min. I made sure I did some stretches as soon as I could to avoid a stiff and sore evening. Wore my new pair of running shoes today and got along very well. I'm not having as much discomfort in my left foot as I did a week or two ago. I'm concentrating more on keeping that foot in alignment and not letting it turn out.

This is the end of week ten. We started at the beginning of March with the two weeks of walking and exercises. Then we went into the run 2 minutes walk 4 minutes 5 X which put me into three weeks of discomfort with hamstring problems. I was unbelievably tight and maybe pushed too hard at first. It took three weeks to get back to the 2 minute run routine. Even with the progress I have made since, I am lagging behind the younger members of the group. (They're all younger) But on the other hand I have made great progress. And there are still 140 or so days to go and I know I will be able to make the 13.1 miles.

No comments: