Tuesday, May 13, 2008

THIS IS NOT BULL


Because I had a number of things to do today, and my legs were very sore from last evenings workout, I decided to do a 30 minute session today. Today I tried out a new road. Actually same road along the river but went in opposite direction. Saw some new scenery. I walked a short way to warm up and then began running. After noting my start time I purposely avoided looking at the time. I ran for quite a while and then started to tire but not enough to stop. I tried something that some of my group suggested last evening. I focused on making it just a little further--to a mail box, bush, stone, or whatever was just a little way ahead. I kept at it and then checked my time when I was flat out getting starved for strength in my legs. I had gone just over 6 minutes. Wow. That's a new one. I walked for a while and then when I reached the 15 min. mark I turned and headed back. I took off running again and used the same routine. After a while I went down a slight hill and then started back up. Made it to the top but that was it. Had to quit and walk. 7 minutes, 10 seconds. Shocker.
Up ahead was a field that I had passed earlier but the first time by, the cows and the bull in the field were away from the road. Now they were by the road. As I approached they were curious as to what the guy coming by was doing. The bull was VERY curious and followed along the one strand of electric barbed wire. That wasn't much between me and him so I RAN for another minute. Even if you are pooped you can still run with a bull cheering you on.

So all in all it was a great 31 minute workout. Two miles and I really shocked myself when I was able to surpass the 3 and 4 minute runs I had been doing.
Last night at our group workout we concentrated on 5 basic core strengthening exercises. Leg lifts laying on back and on sides. Planks. Lunges. Squats. Lots of repetitions.

Today was a comfortable day to be running and walking. I wore a yellow tee shirt and RED shorts.

1 comment:

Kylee Baumle said...

It was the red shorts!! Wear them on September 27th and we'll invite the bull to be part of your cheering squad! LOL.

Terry, you're doing so awesome! I'm so happy for you for going so long running, and TWICE! Woo hoooooo!

Now see? Things are starting to seem a little bit more possible, aren't they? Just look how far we've come! I remember when running ONE MINUTE on the treadmill had me gasping for breath and my legs burning.