Monday, March 17, 2008

A BIG DAY OF STUFF

It was a day packed with Fort 4 Fitness running activities. I did some shopping for a heart rate monitor on the way to Pine Ridge Fitness. Didn't find anything I was sure was what I wanted. I had to return the one I had purchased a week ago as it quit working after four days. Had a chance to tour the Pine Ridge facility before my evaluation. Then I got checked out and found out what I already knew about my BMI (body mass index). All the way to the BIG end of the chart. So lots of work to do there. My general fitness level turned out to be at the low end of average. My muscles ability to use oxygon was at 40 which surprised me. That's pretty good for me at this point. From there I headed to Fort Wayne Physical Therapy for my evaluation there. I definitely have limited flexibility in my legs and hips. Some weakness and I need to stretch my calf muscles and really work on all the exercises that will stretch and strengthen them. Then off to work out. We warmed up with some walking and a little running. Then some new exercises, one of which was a running sideways sort of twisting movement and I hurt my right calf again. Limping when I run. So I am doing lots of stretches after some ice this evening.
We had a very interesting guest who was very motivational. Brett Freiburger spoke to us about his journey from amputation of his lower left leg to now being able to run 200 and 400 meter sprints. He outlined how he overcame many obstacles during the last five years to reach the point he is at. He even ran for us. Awesome! He is headed for the ParaOlympics in Phoenix and then on to China. The mechanics of his running demonstrate how important correct technique is. I am hoping that by tomorrow I will be able to run without limping and pain so I can stay on track and not lose ground.

No comments: