Wednesday, March 26, 2008

R and R

No, not rest and relaxation. Run and rest. I kept up with my schedule of workouts and rest through the Easter weekend. On Monday at our regular group get together we warmed up with some walking and running. Some exercises and then Jamey added some new workouts to the growing list of strengthening exercises. Moving lunges forward and backward were hard work. We ran and walked with partners and helped each other identify position flaws. Some added floor exercises too which in the end result had us all whipped by the end of the hour. There was a good question and answer session and a lot of sharing of how this experience is impacting our lives.
My problem continues to be the pain in my right leg and being unable to run on it. After some light jogging I have to give up. I am dealing with an injured hamstring muscle. Walking isn't a problem but running is. Over all my flexibility and strength as well as stamina have improved greatly but the healing will have to take place with the hamstring before I will run well. I've fallen behind schedule about a week at least. Not to worry though as there is plenty of time and I am increasing my walking speed, distance and time. Our daughter Carolyn, who is a Physical Therapist was home over Easter and suggested an additional exercise to help with my hamstring strengthening. Our group is pretty fortunate to have Jamey helping each of us with our individual afflictions. Carolyn thought training 21 novice runners is a pretty big undertaking.

On Monday the stitches were removed from the two biopsy locations for skin cancers I had checked. Will be having additional surgery on those April 8. Squamous cell cancinomas and we are getting them early. Also reviewed the results of the tests on my heart function and that came back with good news. All is well.
I walked 2.5 miles in 45 minutes yesterday and will attempt to do the same today. Plus all the exercise workout as well. Tomorrow will be a day off and I will be flying to Colorado for a visit there with our son and his family. Will resume workouts out there. I'm hoping I won't get to winded due to the higher altitude.

No comments: