Saturday, March 22, 2008

NO PAIN NO PROGRESS (I guess)

Thursday evening the workout started with a little running and walking to warm up. Then we did most of the 13 exercises we use each day to build our core muscles. I got along fine and actually was able to run part of the warm up, although rather gingerly. I had recovered from the strain on my right lower leg enough to try it. Again walking was no problem. The problem seems to come when I have to lift and push with the right leg. Then Jamey added a few new exercises that involved the lifting of the legs into running position while maintaining good running form. We used the wall to support us and placed our feet back and inclined our body into the correct running angle and then alternated with right leg up in running position with foot by knee and then quickly switch to the other leg. Also, some floor exercises where we did the "plank". On our stomach then support our body in a straight ridgid position on our toes and elbows. Hold for as long as can. I did three of thirty seconds each. Then the same thing on each side supported on one elbow. Did those too. Surprising I did it. After effect was some low back pain which I will have to watch as that is a prior problem on mine. Then we got up to do some high stepping walk and lift foot to hit our behind. That's when my leg went bad again. Felt like a bubble popped in my right calf. That ended the session for me as even walking was a little painful. Came home and iced it. Took Friday off to rest however I felt like I needed to stretch out several times with some of the exercises. It helped. Today (Saturday) was a scheduled workout day so we utilized the school again and walked 45 minutes, which I did without any problem. Came home and did all the exercises, even the new ones except for the high stepping high kicking ones. Then a good icing session. Felt a little stiff this afternoon so did a few stretches and walked slowly on treadmill for five minutes. I'm feeling a little discouraged that I can't get through this and keep up with the new exercises. They are helping set a good foundation for running properly and strongly but I just can't get to the point of running much. Glad we have lot's of time left. 188 days to go. What I am encouraged about is that I have come a long way from where I was a few weeks ago as far as feeling good, flexibility and finding that more family, friends and acquaintances are getting on the bandwagon and doing something to exercise more. Some with the goal of running or walking in the Fort 4 Fitness. At our group sessions each week we are all getting to know each other and share our experiences, trials and tribulations. As each of us work toward our common goal and being part of a group effort is so beneficial. Jamey's dedication to our training is remarkable.

No comments: