Monday, April 7, 2008

Beware What's Hiding in the Closet

Tonight's group workout went well. Our fearless leader Dr. Jamey Gordon was back from his run in the St. Louis Marathon. I hope my 13.1 mile time is about what his 26.2 mile time was. 4 hours 25 minutes and a few seconds. After most of us related our experiences this past week working out on our own we did 5 minutes or so walking/running to warm up. Then Jamey went to the closet and got out various torture devices. He had already introduced some of them last week on Thursday but I was on my way to Colorado so this was my first encounter. Various weights, exercise balls, the top half of a ball that you stand on to do squats, etc. and also some variations on one legged squats, lunges and backwards running. I attempted to do each one of the twenty or so different exercises and got through each one although nothing of star quality. The great thing is that I was able to attempt them all with more ease and without hurting my leg again. I have some new tender spots this evening so I know I got to some spots that needed strengthening. I'm feeling pretty up beat and am looking forward to this weeks activities. Weather report says rain is coming so it might mean indoor running. I hope not as I like the outdoor workouts better even if they are a little more hard on me. Everybody in the group is doing better each week and we can see each other improving!!!

1 comment:

Kylee Baumle said...

I read every single entry, Terry, and thoroughly enjoyed it! I'm glad you started keeping your blog, because I love hearing how others are experiencing the same thing I am.

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow. Romie had a bout with squamous cell carcinoma last year, on the side of his face. Took a little longer than they thought to get rid of it. He could have opted to go with surgery (the initial biopsy didn't get it all), but ended up using a couple different chemical products for several months until it finally was gone. He goes back to get it checked this summer, as well as an exam of his whole body, in case he's got some new areas.
Keep up the good work running! I think you're doing great!!